Click The Image To Go To The New Site

May 15, 2011

Tangled (2010)

Tangled is a computer-animated movie produced by Walt Disney Pictures. Original titles were Rapunzel, as the original German fairy tale Rapunzel by Brothers Grimm. They changed the titles as the marketing strategy. Eventhough the changing title caused critics, but it seems the marketing strategy is working.


The story is about the magically long-haired Rapunzel has spent her entire life in a tower, but now that a runaway thief has stumbled upon her, she is about to discover the world for the first time, and who she really is.(imdb)

As I read Rapunzel's wikipedia, I realize that there were various of the story versions. In this version, Rapunzel, while still innocent, is far more assertive in character and has magical hair, 70 feet (21 m) in length, that can be used to heal or restore youth in others (notably Mother Gothel, which is why she locked Rapunzel in the tower in the first place). To activate her golden hair's healing properties, Rapunzel must sing an incantation. As with many variations of the fairy tale, Rapunzel's tears are also shown to possess healing powers. (wikipedia)




Tangled reminded me of my days when I was a little girl. I loved Princess in adventures who somehow lived in the forest, like Sleeping Beauty (1951). I feel as though princess who survive in the forest looked very modern.

I can't tell any flaw from this movie. It is a sweet fairy tale in a perfect hand-made like animation. The horse is a very much interesting character of all. However, I don't find the frog to stand out as Rapunzel's best friend. As a grown-up I could predict the ending. Although I thought a princess should be saved by a prince, but not on this version of Tangled. Walt Disney Pictures somehow adapted it to be a fun and cheerful taste of musical fairy-tale. I could though imagined that it would be cool to be more gothic, a more light like Corpse Bride-theme.



No comments: